Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley met with the media the day after the Jaguars preseason opening…
What We Learned Against The Buccaneers
1. Blake Bortles- how will he play? We mentioned that Blake Bortles is a gamer and he certainly didn’t disappoint. Bortles completed 7 of 11 throws (with three drops) for 117 yards and looked confident and under control. Lets put it in perspective, Bortles played against the Bucs second-string defense so nobody’s making a bust for Canton quite yet. With that said, he showed everything that anyone would like to see from their first-round pick in his first game.
2. The Jaguars first team defensive line. We also mentioned that the Jaguars starting defensive line should have an advantage against the Bucs offensive line but we didn’t see a complete domination in the cards….and make no mistake, Jacksonville absolutely dominated. The Jaguars have waves of really good players on the defensive line and Tampa Bay quarterbacks ran for their collective lives all night long.
3. Which running back will look the best? The stats say that Denard Robinson looked the best as he scored the Jaguars only offensive touchdown on a 23-yard run, but that came against the Bucs third-stringers. Storm Johnson showed some quickness but there really wasn’t a lot of room to run for any of the backs as Bucs defensive tackle Gerald McCoy dominated the line of scrimmage.
4. Which receiver makes the most of their newfound opportunity? Any undrafted free agent is a longshot to make a team, but former Miami wideout Allen Hurns is looking more and more like a lock. Hurns led a balanced passing attack with two catches for 43 yards and seemed to have a nice rhythm with Blake Bortles. Where guys like Chad Bumphis and Mike Brown maybe hurt their cases with drops, Hurns took a step forward.
5. Keep your hands off on D. The Jaguars secondary did a nice job of playing physical without grabbing. With officials specifically looking to call penalties in the secondary, the Jaguars defensive backs were only flagged twice.
BucsBlitz.com Recommended Stories
Peyton Manning Breaks All-Time TD Record
Peyton Manning emerged alone atop yet another category in the NFL record book tonight vs the Niners, as he tossed touchdown #509 under the national spotlight of Sunday Night Football (NBC). (Photo…Read More
LenDale White escorted out of the Coliseum
Former USC and NFL running back LenDale White added tons of drama to what was a relatively quiet Homecoming weekend for the Trojans.Read More
Video Tip: The 1-Minute Golf Swing
Here’s a way to watch football and improve your golf swing at the same time. In your living room (or on the range), practice the one-minute golf swing, as shown in this video. Set the timer on your…Read More
Dr. Roto Video: Week 7 Recap
Dr. Roto, like many others, can't believe Seattle Seahawks QB Russell Wilson (pictured above) passed for over 300 yards and rushed for over 100 yards in the same game. First time that's ever happened…Read More
Windy Weather Whitetails
As soon as those winds fall off, get into the stand! I always tell people you can't kill them if you aren't out, but if you want to try and pick an opportune time – this is it.Read More